“We and/or “Us” means David J Colbran trading as DJC Design.
“You” means the person or entity named as client
You will be deemed to have accepted these terms and conditions unless you notify us to the contrary and delete or return all the Images to us within 2 days of receipt.
No variation of these terms or conditions shall be effective unless agreed in writing.
“Image” means any item which may be offered for the purposes of reproduction (including where appropriate a digital image).
Supply Of Images
1) The Images are submitted on loan at your request, on approval only. Our delivery note lists the Images delivered to you, which shall be deemed to have been received complete and in good condition, unless we receive notification of any discrepancy or damage within 48 hours of receipt.
2) Images belong to us. The entire copyright in the Photographs is retained by David J Colbran at all times throughout the world. They are your responsibility from the time we despatch them until we receive them back. You are urged to take out insurance to cover the total value of any physical Images delivered.
3) Save for the purposes of reproduction for the licensed use(s), the Photographs may not be stored in any form of unsecured electronic medium without the written permission of the Photographer and must not be in an area that is accessible to a Third Party. Manipulation of the image or use of only a portion of the image, beyond the scope of the brief, may only take place with the permission of the Photographer.
4) Images will be supplied via a secure online system in most cases. Images will be available for 3 months to clients before they are archived. Retrieval fees apply for access beyond three months to cover administration and storage costs. Online proofs will be supplied watermarked at low-resolution.
Supply of Images in transparency or printed format
5) You must pay a non-refundable service fee to cover administrative costs and despatch of Images on each submission and resubmission of Images whether or not reproduction rights are required or granted. We will deliver Images to you by the most appropriate safe method which affords proof of delivery, and may invoice you for the delivery costs
6) “Return Date” is the date by which the Images must be returned as specified on the delivery note or licence. If no date is specified, the Return Date shall be four weeks from the date of the delivery note.
7) You must pay the rental fee specified in the delivery note until we receive the Images back. Payment of the rental fee does not entitle you to retain any Image after its Return Date.
6) You must return Images to us by a safe method which affords proof of delivery. You must arrange adequate protection for Images in transit. You must enclose a delivery note detailing and totalling the returned Images and must send a copy of that note by separate post, fax or email.
8) You must immediately notify us in writing of any loss or damage. You must pay us compensation for each Image lost or damaged at the rates specified on the delivery note which are a genuine pre-estimate of the loss which we will suffer. Any Image returned without its mount or with its caption or other mount data missing or defaced, may incur a replacement charge at the rate set out in the delivery note. Payment of compensation does not entitle you to any additional rights in the material. An Image subsequently found must be returned immediately. If it is undamaged you will be credited with any compensation paid less a rental fee at the rate set out in the delivery note from the Return Date to the date the Image is returned. Such credit will never be less than 20% of any compensation paid.
Licence for Use of Images
9) The reproduction by whatever means of the whole or any part of any Image (including, without limitation, digital, slide projection, artist’s reference, artist’s illustration, layout or presentation of Images) is strictly forbidden without our specific written permission. You must inform us of your proposals as to when and how an Image is intended to be used. We will then consider whether we would wish to grant a licence and, if so, on what terms.
10) No reproduction rights are granted by virtue of delivery of Images unless expressly indicated. Your right to reproduce an Image arises only if (a) licence terms are agreed and (b) our invoice relating to the grant of such right is fully paid. Any reproduction before payment of the invoice or outside the terms of any licence constitutes an infringement of copyright and also a breach of this Agreement entitling us to rescind and claim damages. You must indemnify us in respect of any claims, damages, costs or expenses we incur arising from any reproduction of any Image supplied to you.
11) You must satisfy yourself that all necessary rights, model releases or consents which may be required for reproduction are obtained and that the use of any image is not obscene, indecent, libellous or unlawful. We make no claim or warranty with regard to your use of content, names, text, people, trademarks or copyright material depicted in any Image and you will indemnify us in respect of any claims, damages, costs or expenses we incur arising from the use of any Image supplied to you.
12) Reproduction rights (if granted), unless otherwise agreed in writing are
a) subject to these terms and conditions and any terms and conditions set out in the delivery note, other documentation supplied and licence,
b) non-exclusive reproduction rights for single use only in the United Kingdom. A single use means a reproduction in one size for one edition of a single publication, published in one language only,
c) strictly limited to the use, period of time and territory stated in the licence,
d) personal to you and not assignable by you to any third party.
13) If we agree that you may license the use of any Image to any third party, you shall enter into an agreement with such third party to ensure that they are bound by licence terms restricting printing, copying, networking, multiple access or other use of the Images to personal use only, forbidding the assignment, resale, rental and lending of the Image and ensuring that credit is given to us and the author.
14) You must credit us as the author as specified by us every time an Image is used. The Photographer's name ‘David J Colbran’ will be printed on or in reasonable proximity to all published reproductions of the Photograph(s). The Photographer also asserts his statutory right to be identified in the circumstances set out in Sections 77-79 of the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 or any amendment or re-enactment thereof. If you fail to credit the Image an additional 250% of the original licence fee will be payable. If no licence fee has been agreed then the absence of a proper credit will attract an additional charge of £250. There will be a minimum fee of £250 for the use of any image without a valid licence.
15) Images shall not be altered or manipulated, added to, or have any part deleted without our prior written consent.
16) You must provide us on publication with at least one complimentary copy of any publication in which the reproduction of the Image appears.
17) Unauthorised image usage, without a valid licence infringes our copyright. We will offer a retrospective licence, as part of a "without prejudice save as to costs" prior to any legal action.
18) Unless a rejection fee has been agreed in advance, there is no right to reject on the basis of style or composition.
Digital Use of Images
19) You acknowledge that Images are our valuable property, as are any digital images created from the Images (“ Digital Images”).
20) You may not create, store or transmit Digital Images without our permission except so far as is incidentally and wholly necessary to the process of producing items licensed by us. If permission is granted the following conditions apply:
21) Each Digital Image created by you shall be recorded and labelled with the Image reference number used by us and our copyright credit information as an integral part of the image file, and held on an electronic database under your sole possession and control.
22) Unless otherwise agreed, any Digital Image you create must not be greater in size than 640x480 pixels, 72ppi. Any use of the Digital Images shall be in a format designed so that it will not be possible to alter, manipulate or adapt any Digital Image in any way during the normal course of using the product.
23) You agree to destroy all Digital Images including any pre-press or pre-production copies of the Images and any copies or records of the Images held on a database within 90 days of the date of receipt of the Images or completion of the maximum production run, or expiry of the licence term, whichever is later.
24) While we take reasonable care in the performance of this agreement, we shall not be liable for any loss or damage suffered by you or by any third party arising from use or reproduction of any Image or its caption. Damages for any other breach shall be limited to the licence fee paid by you.
25) You must pay our invoice within 28 days of issue - this is our credit period. However in the case of newspaper, periodical and broadcasting use only, if we agree in advance, you may pay by the end of the calendar month immediately following publication or use, or within six months of the issue of our invoice, whichever is sooner. New clients may be required to pay a 50% deposit prior to final images are released to them - clients and stakeholders will be able to view watermarked versions online pre-payment. Clients outside the UK must pay full balance of invoice before final images are released to them - payment must be made and cleared by direct bank transfer only.
26) If you do not pay in accordance with these terms then we may at our option rescind this Agreement and recover damages, or charge interest at the rate prescribed by the Late Payment of Commercial Debts (Interest) Act 1998 from the date payment was due until payment is made.
27) Where extra expenses or time are incurred by the Photographer as a result of alterations to the original brief by the Agency or the Advertiser, or otherwise at their request, the Agency is liable to pay such extra expenses or fees at the Photographer's normal rate to the Photographer in addition to the expenses as having been agreed or estimated.
28) A booking is considered firm as from the date of email / written confirmation and / or supply of a client brief and accordingly we will, at our discretion, charge a fee for cancellation or postponement, this is usually 50% of pre-arranged fee, if cancellation happens within 48 hours of arranged shoot. Undiscussed weather re-shoots will be charged at 75% of pre-arranged fee.
29) Any licence granted will terminate immediately if you (a) die, (b) enter into voluntary or compulsory liquidation; (c) have a receiver appointed; or (d) fail to perform any of your obligations under these Terms and Conditions within 28 days of our giving you notice to comply. In the event of termination, all rights granted will immediately revert to us and any further exploitation of any Image shall constitute an infringement of copyright.
30) Any publication right (as defined in the Copyright and Related Rights Regulations 1996) arising from your use of any Image shall vest in us and you hereby assign all such rights arising to us.
31) Our failure to exercise or enforce any of our rights will not be deemed to be a waiver of such rights nor bar their exercise or enforcement in future.
32) Should any disagreement arise between us, we shall, if we both agree, first try to settle it by a mediation procedure.
33) We will keep confidential and will not disclose to any third parties or make use of material or information communicated to him/her in confidence for the purposes of the photography, save as may be reasonably necessary to enable us to carry out our obligations in relation to the commission. This in no way relates to the copyrighted images created.
34) These Terms and Conditions shall be governed by the laws of England and Wales and the parties agree to submit the jurisdiction of the English courts, such jurisdiction to be exclusive, save for infringement of copyright or non payment of our invoices where it will be non-exclusive. However if our business address specified overleaf is in Scotland then these terms and conditions shall be governed by the laws of Scotland and the parties agree to submit to the jurisdiction of the Scottish courts, such jurisdiction to be exclusive, save for infringement of copyright or non payment of our invoices where it will be non-exclusive.
© Copyright 2001 British Photographers’ Liaison Committee/ Finers Stephens Innocent. As agreed by BAPLA, AOP, NUJ, MPA and the BFP. Additions copyright of David J Colbran.
We can also supply terms and conditions and image licences for specific commissions and projects, please contact us.
Africa Oye is the UK's largest free African music festival and it just keeps getting better and better. It is an Oye Family now - a solid crew of management and trustees and an audience that knows how to party ! Read more...
Despite the ongoing Brexit uncertainty, it seems the Brits still love their holidays. I've covered a variety of events - from travel industry roadshows, tour operator previews, travel agent networking events, holiday prize give-aways to store promotions. Read more...
Finally getting around to posting some Glastonbury Festival photos from a few weeks back. Amazing weather, amazing times. Unfortunately no press pass this year, so minimal kit and too busy enjoying myself to take loads of photos. But incoming some highlights over the next few days …
Check my previous Glastonbury Festival images via the jump
WESLI ; Wesley Louissaint, a Haitian Canadian musician ; at the Africa Oye Festival 2019, Liverpool, UK ; Saturday 22nd and Sunday 23rd June 2019 ; Credit: David J Colbran
OSHUN ; Hip-Hop / Soul duo from the USA ; at the Africa Oye Festival 2019, Liverpool, UK ; Saturday 22nd and Sunday 23rd June 2019 ; Credit: David J Colbran
Photo by David J Colbran - to use or licence this image please contact me via my Liverpool photography website.
"I have employed David for conferences, presentations, social engagements, marketing materials, open days, portrait shots, official document signings amongst many others. David has always been amenable to our sometimes short notice and has delivered our photos in a quick time frame as agreed and sometimes much quicker depending on our needs. He has always been very helpful, he follows and delivers on the brief and is able to give additional value to jobs with minimal briefs. I am more than happy to recommend David and he will no doubt deliver the same quality he provides us."